What’re the advantages of team accounts?
Team accounts allow customers to have completely segregated data sets and assets (parsers, dashboards, alerts) etc. This is ideal for larger organizations that work in silos. By breaking an entire customer's data set into accounts, it can help searches return more quickly because less data is being searched. This enables more granular user permissions - i.e. a user can have access to one or more teams.
When a team account is set up under a master account, the team account's log volume rolls up to the master account. Usage is then calculated and billed across all team accounts.
Selecting account email addresses
We recommend that administrators associate their Scalyr team accounts with email addresses that are dedicated to the accounts (and not specific users). This way, the Scalyr accounts are not impacted if a user changes their position or leaves the company.
Team accounts != Login accounts
Scalyr team account addresses are not to be used as login accounts — they should be treated like the root account, and used with discretion.
Steps to Create
- Create the necessary email accounts before beginning. For example, if you have 3 teams, create 4 accounts (1 per team, and 1 master account).
- Create Scalyr trial accounts for each of the email accounts that you established
- Contact Scalyr Support (email@example.com) to request an account modification. Specify the master account, and its associated team(s).
- Since this is the initial login, log in to each Scalyr account with the Scalyr team account address. Click the user menu → "Manage Users" to invite users. Sign out once you are done.
- WARNING! DO NOT send invitations between team accounts. For example, do not send an invitation from master@companyA.com to team1@companyA.com or team1@companyA.com and teamX@companyA.com. Invitations should only be sent to users.
- If the user account does not already exist, one will automatically be created. The user will need to create a password upon accepting the invitation email.
- If the user account exists, the user will receive an invitation email. Upon signing in, they will have access to the account.
- If users are on multiple teams, they can switch between teams by clicking the user menu → "Manage Teams", and selecting the appropriate team (displayed as hyperlink). Once the team has been selected, it will be displayed as an entry on the user menu for quick access.